You’re in the middle of the most frigid week of winter and you wake up trembling in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thing you think is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a scenario like this where it feels like you’re destined to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a handful of things you can inspect, as well as a few things you can do, to stay ready and prep for a predicament like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Chilly nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you have a better chance at averting a chilly predicament.
- Pull together supplies. Set aside some room in a closet, drawer or another easily accessible area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace isn’t running. It might seem inconvenient or unnecessary now, but it will be nice when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Working:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace might have been tripped by a power surge or for a different reason. If this is the case, switch the breaker back on and you could be set. If the breaker is tripped and you have turned it back on but your furnace still isn’t operating, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer on and get cozy. That load of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you keep your body heat so you can stay warm while waiting for your technician. Also, try to find something active to do to keep your blood pumping, as more activity can help keep you comfortable.
- Stay safe. Utilizing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose some danger depending on the method you’re choosing. It’s important to remember to never utilize heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use another method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your safest options.
No one wants to deal with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has stopped working, but the opportunity is real if you don’t take the proper steps. Give the team at Central Heating & Plumbing a call at 724-401-1843 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services offered or any other number of heating questions.