Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how regularly your air filter has been changed, to name some—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Central Heating & Plumbing in New Castle about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the period of time between specialized cleanings.
Mostly importantly, schedule annual HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Central Heating & Plumbing. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating effectively, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Central Heating & Plumbing about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters habitually and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not require exchanging.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that permit dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your New Castle home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Central Heating & Plumbing a call at 724-401-1843.