While winter weather seems like it’s already been here for much too long, its influence on our heating bill is just starting. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To start controlling your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Trying to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a buzz at 724-401-1843. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy New Castle weather.